Self-Cleaning Litter Boxes
An automatic litter box can make a cat owners experience more convenient by removing the daily task of scooping the kitty litter. An automatic self-cleaning litter box is powered and initiates waste removal. A semi-automatic self-cleaning litter box relies on the cat owner to scoop the waste clump by clump. For both types, the waste is stored in a compartment and unsoiled kitty litter is ready to use in the litter tray.How do automatic litter boxes work?
- Automatic litter box - Each model is unique, but typically a sensor recognizes the presence of the cat or its waste. After adequate time passes, a rake will pass through the cat litter to gather material. The urine and feces are deposited into a waste receptacle that the owner will empty or dispose of regularly.
- Semi-automatic litter box - This type of litter box is designed in a way that waste is removed from the litter tray by the owner. Using a rolling or tipping motion, the owner guides the mess so that a grated barrier which traps the waste. The clean litter can then be recycled into use in the litter tray.
Since waste is stored in the boxs waste compartment, measures are taken to control odor. Some are built into the litter box with disposable feature, and others require maintenance or forethought by the cat owner.
- Use carbon filters to trap odors before they can become a problem.
- Consider using crystal litter, which is absorbent, to reduce lingering smells after use.
- Choose a litter box model with a privacy hood to help enclose any scents.
- Clean washable parts of the self-cleaning litter box periodically.
Typically, cat litter boxes in a pet store vary in length, but they average between 20 inches and 24 inches. Usually, an automatic litter box will be bigger than a traditional litter box. Since the average cat is about 18" long, the extra space is better for their comfort. Compare dimensions to the average tradition size of 22" L X 18" W X 6.5" H to various models of self-cleaners.
- ScoopFree: 28.5" L x 20.5" W x 7" H
- LitterMaid: 24" L x 17" W x 9" H
- PetSafe: 25.75" L x 18.75" W x 10" H
- CatGenie:23" L x 16" W x 21" H
- Litter Robot III Open-Air: 27” D x 24.25” W x 29.5” H
- Omega Paw RollN Clean: 20" L x 17" W x 16.5" H