A foot massager can provide a variety of massage techniques combined with enhancement features, such as heat, timers, and intuitive controls, for a luxurious foot relaxation experience. Stressed and tired feet feel softer and relieved with a foot massage machine and the portable convenience. Adding oils or scents can enhance any foot massage even further.
What factors should you look for in a foot massager?
- Massager Height: Based on the foot massager design, it can go up to the knee on some adults, half-encompassing the back half of the calf. Other massagers are a few inches tall and designed specifically for the feet, reaching ankle height to allow for some water inside.
- Massager Features: Some foot massage machines are capable of performing several massage actions simultaneously while others have one targeted function with a specific action. Additional options are available, such as heat or air compression, which provides jets of rhythmic air currents for a cool feel-good sensation. Toe controls and timers provide ease-of-use and convenient accessibility to foot relaxation.
- Massager Types: The most common massage techniques incorporated into foot massagers are vibration, oscillation, kneading, and shiatsu. Several other types are available, including roller or ball massaging. These techniques provide a pressurized rolling down the full length or targeted portions of the foot. A foot massager can have a built-in roller, or they can be individual tools shaped like a baker’s rolling pin, designed for a quick foot massage.
What are the main differences between vibrating, oscillating, kneading, and shiatsu massage?
- Vibration Massage: Provides up and down or side-to-side motion.
- Oscillation Massage: Provides a circular motion, sometimes combined with vibration.
- Kneading Massage: Provides a rolling and pressing of the muscles.
- Shiatsu Massage: Provides a combination of pressure and stretching to certain muscle points.
What is a reflexology massage?
Reflexology is a type of foot, hand, and ear massage targeting certain pressure points. Reflexologists use foot charts to determine accurate pressure for each area. The belief is pressure on these focal points directly affect the organs and overall health of an individual.
What is a shiatsu foot massager?
A foot massager specific to shiatsu is focused on relieving pain and tension found within the area of applied pressure in specific areas of the foot. A shiatsu foot massager often incorporates reflexology and kneading techniques to provide the appropriate pressure and stretching effect.
Can foot massage help athletes?
Many athletes find the use of a foot massager beneficial for the relief of sore muscles and for stimulating blood flow to the feet. A massager can be another tool in an athlete’s arsenal to quickly rebound overworked muscles. Through targeted foot massage techniques, applied heat, and additional features offered from a foot massager, athletes often find subsequent workouts or training more comfortable.