Motorcycle Parts for Honda Gold Wing 1000
There are many reasons that you may want to purchase parts and accessories for your Honda Gold Wing 1000. If you are searching for components for your motorcycle, the many available options may seem a tad overwhelming. Keeping a few questions in mind can help to simplify the shopping process.What are OEM parts and accessories?
OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. These parts generally fit well and are designed using specific measurements and can be easy to install. Purchasing OEM components may end up saving you some time if you plan to install them yourself.What is the difference between replacement and upgrade parts?
Some components are designed specifically for functionality. For example, an exhaust gasket looks and behaves similarly to the OEM part it was created to replace.
Aftermarket components are generally intended to help improve the performance of your motorcycle. Some components dramatically change the performance of your motorcycle. For example, a race slick is not necessary to the overall performance of your motorcycle but can make your motorcycle grip the pavement significantly better.What are universal parts?
Universal parts are those that can fit just about every motorcycle. One good example of a universal part would be a throttle boss. They can be applied to almost any motorcycle and are easy to install and fit. You may also want to purchase parts directly made by the same brand as your motorbike to ensure that they will fit properly.How will you know if parts will fit your motorcycle?
You want to be sure to purchase components that are going to fit properly. This is critical to the performance and safety of your Honda.
- Reference your owners manual: This is a quick and easy way to find part names and numbers
- Do a VIN search: Searching the VIN number is another way to find out which parts you will need specifically. The VIN number will usually be located on the steering neck. If you cannot find it there, look on the motor near the bottom of the cylinder.
- Know the year and model of your Gold Wing 1000: This motorcycle has been manufactured since 1975. There are a lot of different parts designed for motorcycles of different generations.
There are a few components that need to be replaced regularly on a motorcycle.
- Brake pads: Brake pads can corrode over time and must be replaced regularly.
- Tires: Look for cracks, cuts, punctures, and tread levels to determine if replacement is necessary.
- Battery: Check your bikes battery electrolyte level when you get an oil change to find out if it needs replacing.
- Chain, drive shafts, belts: These components are durable but will likely need to be replaced on your bike after 30,000 miles.
- Auxiliary lighting: LED and halogen lights are good replacement light options.