Find the Right UMPC for Your Needs
You can use an ultra-mobile PC when you're on the go and you don't want to bring your laptop with you. eBay has several options in these miniature computers to make your buying process simple.What is an ultra-mobile PC?
An ultra-mobile PC is a hand-held computer that can run on a Windows operating system. Microsoft and Intel partnered to create the UMPC in what was referred to as the Origami project. To be categorized as an ultra-mobile PC, the computing device should weigh less than two pounds, have a screen size close to 5-8 inches, and have a screen resolution at 800 x 480 or higher.
In a sense, it is a miniature version of a touchscreen PC laptop. Some people find that UMPCs are able to fit inside their pockets. As portable devices, some business users find them convenient for giving them the ability to work while traveling.Can you have video calls on your UMPC?
Some ultra-mobile PCs have built-in webcams, so you can do video calls. Some options for ultra-mobile PCs with built-in webcams include the Sony VAIO VGN-UX280P 4.5-inch U1400, Panasonic Toughbook CF-U1, and the Wibrain B1. Webcams on UMPCs are around 5 MP. You can also watch videos and play games on these devices. Look for an ultra-mobile PC high in RAM if you plan on using it mostly for games.What operating systems can be used on your UMPC?
The operating system for your ultra-mobile PC depends on the device model, so you should check the manufacturer's site for details. Operating systems that you can use on these devices include Windows 10, Linux, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.What are some other features of UMPCs?
Common features you can find in an ultra-mobile PC include:
- Touchscreen - Ultra-mobile PCs are designed with touchscreens that you can navigate with a stylus. Screen size often ranges from 5-8 inches and resolution is at least 800 x 480.
- USB 2.0 connectivity - Because most ultra-mobile PCs have USB 2.0 connectivity, you can use external keyboards and mice with them.
- GPS - Some have GPS capabilities to help you find directions.
- Wi-Fi - Many ultra-mobile PCs have Wi-Fi, so you can wirelessly connect to the internet.
- Fingerprint readers - If you like using fingerprint technology for security, you may be interested in models that have fingerprint readers.
- Adjustable back strap - Some devices come with back straps that you can adjust around your hand while holding the device.
- Transflective LCD - Devices with transflective LCD screens automatically increase the LCD's brightness in the sunlight.
- Zoom keys - Some models have zoom keys that you can use to zoom in and out on the screen.